FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Who is OnlineWho is Online   Join! (free) Join! (free)  
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  • Welcome
  • Guest

  • Main Menu
  • Sticky Articles
  • Open Support Tickets
Misinformation & Misreporting in the Gospels.
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FREE FAITH, EXPRESSION AND THOUGHT Forum Index -> Christianity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BMZ
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 23 Nov 2007
Posts: 436



Add Karma

rated by members
Add Comment
Show Comments


online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Misinformation & Misreporting in the Gospels.  Reply with quote

Various authors have penned their own gospels. Many translators have come up with different answers. Let us see how they differ and contradict each other which is obvious from the following examples. The list of misreporting, misunderstanding and errors is not exhaustive.  Wink  

Quote:
Matthew 27:11

Jesus Before Pilate

11Meanwhile Jesus stood before the governor, and the governor asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?"

"Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied.


Quote:
Mark 15

Jesus Before Pilate
1Very early in the morning, the chief priests, with the elders, the teachers of the law and the whole Sanhedrin, reached a decision. They bound Jesus, led him away and handed him over to Pilate.
2"Are you the king of the Jews?" asked Pilate.
"Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied.


Quote:
Luke(NIV)

Luke 23

1Then the whole assembly rose and led him off to Pilate. 2And they began to accuse him, saying, "We have found this man subverting our nation. He opposes payment of taxes to Caesar and claims to be Christ,[a] a king."

3So Pilate asked Jesus, "Are you the king of the Jews?"
"Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied.


Quote:
Luke 23 (The Message)

1-2Then they all took Jesus to Pilate and began to bring up charges against him. They said, "We found this man undermining our law and order, forbidding taxes to be paid to Caesar, setting himself up as Messiah-King."

3Pilate asked him, "Is this true that you're 'King of the Jews'?"

"Those are your words, not mine," Jesus replied.


Quote:
(New Living Translation) (NLT)
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers.  

Luke 23

Jesus’ Trial before Pilate

1 Then the entire council took Jesus to Pilate, the Roman governor. 2 They began to state their case: “This man has been leading our people astray by telling them not to pay their taxes to the Roman government and by claiming he is the Messiah, a king.”

3 So Pilate asked him, “Are you the king of the Jews?”

Jesus replied, “You have said it.”


Quote:
John 18:33-36

33Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?"

34"Is that your own idea," Jesus asked, "or did others talk to you about me?"

35"Am I a Jew?" Pilate replied. "It was your people and your chief priests who handed you over to me. What is it you have done?"

36Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."


According to Matthew, Mark and Luke, he said he was the king of the Jews. Luke's variations are interesting. NIV, NLT and Message have multiple views. John says nope. Who to trust?  Smile

BMZ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
David
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 157



Add Karma

rated by members
Add Comment
Show Comments


online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Misinformation & Misreporting in the Gospels. Reply with quote

BMZ wrote:
Various authors have penned their own gospels. Many translators have come up with different answers. Let us see how they differ and contradict each other which is obvious from the following examples. The list of misreporting, misunderstanding and errors is not exhaustive.  Wink  

Quote:
Matthew 27:11

Jesus Before Pilate

11Meanwhile Jesus stood before the governor, and the governor asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?"

"Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied.


Quote:
Mark 15

Jesus Before Pilate
1Very early in the morning, the chief priests, with the elders, the teachers of the law and the whole Sanhedrin, reached a decision. They bound Jesus, led him away and handed him over to Pilate.
2"Are you the king of the Jews?" asked Pilate.
"Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied.


Quote:
Luke(NIV)

Luke 23

1Then the whole assembly rose and led him off to Pilate. 2And they began to accuse him, saying, "We have found this man subverting our nation. He opposes payment of taxes to Caesar and claims to be Christ,[a] a king."

3So Pilate asked Jesus, "Are you the king of the Jews?"
"Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied.


Quote:
Luke 23 (The Message)

1-2Then they all took Jesus to Pilate and began to bring up charges against him. They said, "We found this man undermining our law and order, forbidding taxes to be paid to Caesar, setting himself up as Messiah-King."

3Pilate asked him, "Is this true that you're 'King of the Jews'?"

"Those are your words, not mine," Jesus replied.


Quote:
(New Living Translation) (NLT)
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers.  

Luke 23

Jesus’ Trial before Pilate

1 Then the entire council took Jesus to Pilate, the Roman governor. 2 They began to state their case: “This man has been leading our people astray by telling them not to pay their taxes to the Roman government and by claiming he is the Messiah, a king.”

3 So Pilate asked him, “Are you the king of the Jews?”

Jesus replied, “You have said it.”


Quote:
John 18:33-36

33Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?"

34"Is that your own idea," Jesus asked, "or did others talk to you about me?"

35"Am I a Jew?" Pilate replied. "It was your people and your chief priests who handed you over to me. What is it you have done?"

36Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."


According to Matthew, Mark and Luke, he said he was the king of the Jews. Luke's variations are interesting. NIV, NLT and Message have multiple views. John says nope. Who to trust?  Smile

BMZ


John 18: NIV

John 33Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?"

34"Is that your own idea," Jesus asked, "or did others talk to you about me?"
35"Am I a Jew?" Pilate replied. "It was your people and your chief priests who handed you over to me. What is it you have done?"

36Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."

37"You are a king, then!" said Pilate.
     Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

John 19:

13When Pilate heard this, he brought Jesus out and sat down on the judge's seat at a place known as the Stone Pavement (which in Aramaic is Gabbatha). 14It was the day of Preparation of Passover Week, about the sixth hour.

     "Here is your king," Pilate said to the Jews.


John 19:

21The chief priests of the Jews protested to Pilate, "Do not write 'The King of the Jews,' but that this man claimed to be king of the Jews."
22Pilate answered, "What I have written, I have written."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BMZ
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 23 Nov 2007
Posts: 436



Add Karma

rated by members
Add Comment
Show Comments


online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Misinformation & Misreporting in the Gospels. Reply with quote

David wrote:
John 18: NIV

36Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."

37"You are a king, then!" said Pilate.
     Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."


lol! Try to be serious here. Read Jesus' reply carefully, friend. Jesus did not say "I am the King of Jews". He had already clarified that in John 18:36.

David wrote:
John 19:

13When Pilate heard this, he brought Jesus out and sat down on the judge's seat at a place known as the Stone Pavement (which in Aramaic is Gabbatha). 14It was the day of Preparation of Passover Week, about the sixth hour.

     "Here is your king," Pilate said to the Jews.


John 19:

21The chief priests of the Jews protested to Pilate, "Do not write 'The King of the Jews,' but that this man claimed to be king of the Jews."
22Pilate answered, "What I have written, I have written."


The above is just plain mocking, a taunt. It is not a confirmation that Jesus was king of the Jews.

Now read John 18 again and see what were the charges made by Annas and Caiaphas? There are no charges mentioned here. All we know is that they wanted to get rid of one man which would have been better for their people. No Son Of God or the King or King-Messiah is mentioned. John, allegedly being the beloved disciple, did not report any accusations or charges.  Rolling Eyes


Quote:
Jesus Taken to Annas

12Then the detachment of soldiers with its commander and the Jewish officials arrested Jesus. They bound him 13and brought him first to Annas, who was the father-in-law of Caiaphas, the high priest that year. 14Caiaphas was the one who had advised the Jews that it would be good if one man died for the people.

The High Priest Questions Jesus
19Meanwhile, the high priest questioned Jesus about his disciples and his teaching.
20"I have spoken openly to the world," Jesus replied. "I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret. 21Why question me? Ask those who heard me. Surely they know what I said."

22When Jesus said this, one of the officials nearby struck him in the face. "Is this the way you answer the high priest?" he demanded.

23"If I said something wrong," Jesus replied, "testify as to what is wrong. But if I spoke the truth, why did you strike me?" 24Then Annas sent him, still bound, to Caiaphas the high priest.[b]


What are the charges shown in above? None. What happened when he was sent to Caiaphas, according to John? John forgot to write and off Jesus was bundled to Pilate.  Rolling Eyes  Shocked  Laughing

Now let us take a look at this from John 18:28

Quote:
Jesus Before Pilate

28Then the Jews led Jesus from Caiaphas to the palace of the Roman governor. By now it was early morning, and to avoid ceremonial uncleanness the Jews did not enter the palace; they wanted to be able to eat the Passover. 29So Pilate came out to them and asked, "What charges are you bringing against this man?"

30"If he were not a criminal," they replied, "we would not have handed him over to you."

31Pilate said, "Take him yourselves and judge him by your own law."

"But we have no right to execute anyone," the Jews objected. 32This happened so that the words Jesus had spoken indicating the kind of death he was going to die would be fulfilled.


According to John in above, when asked about the charges, they gave none. For this, I believe we must believe blindly what others wrote. lol! Caiaphas wanted to execute him and the tell-tale answer is already there in the 2nd part of 31.

BMZ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
David
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 157



Add Karma

rated by members
Add Comment
Show Comments


online/offline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Misinformation & Misreporting in the Gospels. Reply with quote

Quote:


36Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."  


What do you think Jesus meant when he said:  "My kingdom is not of this world"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AhmedBahgat
Golden Member
Golden Member


Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 671


Location: Australia
Add Karma

rated by members
Add Comment
Show Comments


online/offline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Misinformation & Misreporting in the Gospels. Reply with quote

David wrote:
Quote:


36Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."  


What do you think Jesus meant when he said:  "My kingdom is not of this world"?



why don't you tell us what do think about it?

let me guess, that Jesus is god?
_________________
And say: Truth has arrived, and Falsehood perished: for Falsehood is bound to perish.
[The Quran ; 17:81]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BMZ
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 23 Nov 2007
Posts: 436



Add Karma

rated by members
Add Comment
Show Comments


online/offline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Misinformation & Misreporting in the Gospels. Reply with quote

David wrote:
Quote:


36Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."  


What do you think Jesus meant when he said:  "My kingdom is not of this world"?


I agree with Ahmed. Why don't you tell us?  Wink Do you think we do not understand such a simple thing?

BMZ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
David
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 157



Add Karma

rated by members
Add Comment
Show Comments


online/offline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Misinformation & Misreporting in the Gospels. Reply with quote

[quote="AhmedBahgat"]
David wrote:
Quote:


36Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."  


What do you think Jesus meant when he said:  "My kingdom is not of this world"?


AhmedBahgat wrote:


why don't you tell us what do think about it?  


Why don't we let BMZ answer the question since it was directed to him.

AhmedBahgat wrote:


let me guess, that Jesus is god?


No.  Guess again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
David
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 157



Add Karma

rated by members
Add Comment
Show Comments


online/offline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Misinformation & Misreporting in the Gospels. Reply with quote

BMZ wrote:
David wrote:
Quote:


36Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."  


What do you think Jesus meant when he said:  "My kingdom is not of this world"?


I agree with Ahmed. Why don't you tell us?  Wink Do you think we do not understand such a simple thing?

BMZ


If it is such a "simple thing," then answer the question.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AhmedBahgat
Golden Member
Golden Member


Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 671


Location: Australia
Add Karma

rated by members
Add Comment
Show Comments


online/offline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, it simply means that he is a messenger from God
_________________
And say: Truth has arrived, and Falsehood perished: for Falsehood is bound to perish.
[The Quran ; 17:81]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
David
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 157



Add Karma

rated by members
Add Comment
Show Comments


online/offline
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhmedBahgat wrote:
Great, it simply means that he is a messenger from God


Do all messengers of God have kingdoms?

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FREE FAITH, EXPRESSION AND THOUGHT Forum Index -> Christianity All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14
 
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum